- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 75g butter, melted
- 1/2 cup water, approximately
- 500g Tegel Fresh Chicken Mince
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 roasted red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped spinach
- 2 Tbsp each: tomato paste, toasted pinenuts, chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp each: smoked paprika, salt, ground cumin
1. Place the flour, baking powder, salt, olive oil and melted butter in a food processor. Process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. With the motor running, pour in the water. Process until the mixture forms a ball. If necessary, add an extra 1 to 2 tablespoons of water.
Knead lightly then wrap in plastic wrap and set aside.
1. Heat a dash of olive oil in a frying pan. Add the chicken mince, onion and garlic and brown over medium heat. Add the red pepper, spinach, tomato paste, pinenuts, parsley, water, smoked paprika, salt and ground cumin. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes then set aside to cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
3. Take walnut sized pieces of the dough and roll into a very thin circle. Place a heaped teaspoon of the cooled filling onto the dough. Fold the dough in half and press the edges with a fork to seal. Place on an oven tray. Continue with the remaining dough and filling.
4. Bake the empanadas in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until they are golden brown.