- 4 leeks, white part only and a little into the green, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced into 1.5cm chunks
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
- 75g butter
- 1 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 125ml (1/2 cup) sour cream
- 4 sheets (approx 750g) frozen butter puff pastry, thawed
- 1 Tegel Manuka Smoked Whole Chicken - Original 1.1kg
- 1 egg yolk, lightly mixed
1. Combine leeks, carrots, thyme and butter in a large frying pan and cook over a very gentle heat for 20 minutes until leeks are tender.
2. Add mustard and flour and mix well, cook for 2 minutes and then add chicken stock and parsley. Bring to the boil stirring constantly until sauce boils and thickens. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Remove pan from the heat and then stir through the sour cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if using commercial chicken stock you may not need any extra salt.
3. Set filling aside to cool.
4. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
5. Remove flesh from the Tegel Manuka Smoked Whole Chicken - Original 1.1kg discarding skin and bones. Chop into bite size pieces. Mix the chicken into the cooled leek sauce.
6. Line a 28cm deep pie dish with pastry. Spoon the filling into the dish and cover with pastry. Seal the edges and brush with egg yolk. Prick the pastry twice to allow steam to escape.
7. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until puffed and golden.