- 1 Tegel Fresh Whole Chicken
- Fresh basil leaves
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 15g butter
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 Tegel Manuka Smoked Chicken Rashers - Original 200g chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives, finely chopped
- 1 anchovy fillet, chopped (optional)
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp capers, drained and chopped
- Black pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Place the basil leaves and lemon wedges inside the cavity of the Tegel Fresh Whole Chicken. Place the chicken into a roasting dish.
3. Spread the butter on top of the breast. Place 1/2 cup chicken stock in the dish. Roast the chicken for 1 hour and 50 minutes or until the juices run clear when pierced through the thickest part of the thigh. Baste occasionally and add extra chicken stock as necessary. Stand for 5 minutes before carving.
4.Heat a dash of olive oil in a frying pan. Add the Tegel Manuka Smoked Chicken Rashers - Original 200g and cook until it is crisp and golden. Add the onion, red pepper, garlic and thyme and continue to cook over medium heat for a further 2 to 3 minutes. Add the black olives, chopped anchovy fillet (if used), parsley and capers and cook for a further 3 minutes. Season with black pepper.
5. Serve the chicken with the tapenade, roast vegetables and seasonal green vegetables.