- 1-2 large red chillis, de-seeded and sliced
- 1 Tbsp fresh minced ginger
- 1 medium onion, sliced into thin half rounds
- 2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- Juice from one lemon
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil (rice bran, soya, canola)
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar or grated palm sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 500g Tegel Fresh Chicken Skinless Thighs
- Handful of bean sprouts (large mung bean)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Combine chillis, ginger, onion, soy sauce, water, rice wine vinegar, lemon juice, fish sauce, sesame oil, oil, brown sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add the chicken and coat well. Pour into the clay pot (or casserole dish). The liquid should almost cover the chicken – if not, add some water.
3. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and lift lid to add a handful of bean sprouts before closing the lid again. These will steam but remain crunchy.
This is ready to serve and will stay warm for at least 45 minutes.
4. Serve with rice and steamed green beans.
When removing the hot clay pot (or any ovenproof dish) from the oven, don’t put it onto a cold surface as the sudden change in temperature may crack the pot. I put it on a folded tea towel.