- 5 garlic cloves
- 4 dried chilli
- ¼ tsp each of dried basil, oregano, cumin seeds (or 1 tbsp fresh of each)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander – leaf and stalk
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-3cm stick cinnamon
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 ml) chicken stock
- 8 Tegel Mixed Chicken Portions 2kg
- 40g bittersweet, dark chocolate
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and add the garlic cloves, skin and all. Toast these for 10 minutes until the skins begin to blacken in places and the garlic has begun to soften. Remove from the heat.
2. Blend in a mortar and pestle, or food processor, the chilli, basil, oregano, cumin seeds and coriander and finally add the oil and toasted garlic from the saucepan. Blend together and if there are any large garlic skins that are easy to pick out then do so, otherwise ignore them.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in the saucepan and cook the onion on a gentle heat until softened. Increase the heat to medium, add the blended spices and cook for 3-5 minutes until the onions begin to brown and the spices give up their aromas. Add the cinnamon stick, tomatoes and chicken stock. Cook the sauce on a vigorous simmer for 10 minutes until it thickens.
4. Add Tegel Mixed Chicken Portions 2kg. Cover and bring to a simmer and cook for a further 30-40mins or until the chicken is cooked through. Add more stock (or water) if the sauce thickens too much. Add the chocolate and stir through. Before serving check seasoning and add additional salt, pepper or chilli as desired.
5. Serve with rice and soft tortilla garnished with fresh coriander.