- 400g Tegel Fresh Chicken Skinless Thighs, cut into small pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 1 bay leaf, finely chopped (or salam leaf which is Indonesian equivalent but harder to find)
- 2 Tbsp peanut oil
- Shrimp paste (optional and to taste)
- Wrappers – can use banana palm or corn husks if you have them or baking paper
1. Mix all of the ingredients together. Set aside whilst you prepare your wrappers.
2. Cut whatever you are using as a wrapper into 15cmx15cm squares or an approximation of this.
3. Spoon 1 heaped tablespoon of the chicken filling into the centre, fold in the sides and then the ends and secure with a toothpick to make a cute little flat bottomed parcel. These can now be refrigerated for up to 24 hours before steaming.
4. To steam, use a bamboo steamer if you have one or any normal steamer pot will do. Steam in batches, cooking for at least 15-20 minutes to ensure chicken is cooked through. Pile the parcels onto a platter.
Tips for Pepes Ayam – Little Steamed Chicken Parcels :
Rate this recipe
Share this recipe
You might also like