- 350g potatoes
- 4 Tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 4 dried chillis (or ½ tsp chilli powder)
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 Tbsp tamarind paste, dissolved in 1 ½ cups water
- 400g Tegel Fresh Chicken Skin on Thighs cut to same size as potato chunks
1. Peel and cut potatoes into 1-2cm pieces. Place in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and par boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and drain. Set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a heavy based saucepan (or high-sided fry pan) over a medium heat. Saute the poppy and mustard seeds until they begin to pop. Turn the heat down and add the onion. Saute until the onion begins to colour. Add the garlic followed by the spices. Cook these for 3-5 minutes until they give off their aroma.
3. Add peas, tomatoes, tamarind paste in water and par-cooked potatoes to the spice mix and bring to a simmer. Add the diced Tegel Fresh Chicken Skin on Thighs and simmer, covered, for 10 -15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and potatoes are tender. You may need to add up to half a cup more of water during the cooking time.
4. Serve with crispy papadoms, cabbage and rice.