A chilly-bin is a good way of keeping chilled and frozen products cold when taking them home from the supermarket, especially in the summer. Do not leave poultry sitting in the car for hours before refrigerating. Likewise, put a frozen chilly pad with your picnic foods to keep food cold.
- Ensure poultry is stored in a fridge operating at a temperature between 2oC and 4oC.
- Always cook poultry before the Best Before date, or freeze it on the day of purchase.
- Frozen poultry should be stored at a temperature of minus 18oC or colder.
- Always thaw poultry in the fridge or microwave; never on the kitchen bench at room temperature. Bacteria that cause food-borne illnesses thrive at room temperature - keep food either very cold or very hot.
- If you are barbecuing, keep poultry in the fridge or a chilly bin until just before it is cooked.
Whenever you're handling raw meat & poultry, always wash your hands regularly & use the 20/20 rule: Wash for 20 seconds, dry for 20 seconds.