- 355 ml beer/soft-drink
- 200 grams BBQ sauce of choice
- 1 Tegel Fresh Tenderbasted Whole Chicken
- 1 piece of wood, suitable for smoking (ideal: Manuka, Kanuka/Pohutukawa)
- Take your piece of wood and strip off as much of the loose bark as possible.
- Lay the wood on the grill part of the BBQ directly above the burners.
- Lay the thawed chicken out on its back and push the thighs downwards to dislocate the joint.
- Cover the whole chicken with BBQ sauce.
- Using half a can of beer (or soft drink) sit it on the hot plate side of the grill.
- Sit the chicken onto the can and close the BBQ hood
- Turn the burner under the hot plate to the lowest heat.
- Turn the burner under the wood to max until you get a food smoke, then turn it back to low.
- Cook until the internal temperature of the breast reaches 75°c (this should take about 1 hour 15 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 180°c.
- Cover whole chicken with BBQ sauce.
- Line the tray with baking paper and place the chicken.
- Transfer to oven and cook for 40 minutes to an hour, or until the chicken is cooked through.